Researched and written by Deloitte, surveyed by GfK and commission by GEITF.
This year TV: Why? This year we endeavour to answer the questions about television we have been asked most often over the past year. Some questions are driven by the emergence of technologies which are shaping the viewing experience. Some are driven by behaviour, such as understanding why we watch so much television. We also look at one of the major sources of funding for television – advertising – and why it has been so resilient over the last decade.
Here are some of the findings:
• Six billion hours: the time the UK devotes to watching television in an average month.
• 75% of 16-18 year olds believe that they often learn something new from watching programmes on TV.
• Up to 70% of homes have at least one way of connecting their TVs, but just 16% use their TV to watch catch up on a regular basis.
• 84% of the UK prefer TV based advertising campaigns with no other medium polling more than 2%.
• Nearly a trillion ads: that’s what UK viewers are forecast to watch in 2012.
Download TV: Why?and learn about the current issues impacting the UK television industry
For more information visit www.deloitte.co.uk/television or share your thoughts with us by using #deloittetv
About the research
This is the sixth annual report on the current issues impacting the television sector. Deloitte has produced this report as part of its continuing support for the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival (GEITF). The in-depth research was based on interviews with senior industry executives and a detailed online survey of 4,000 respondents in the United Kingdom, undertaken by GfK in June 2012.
Stats, Lies and Videotape? Join our session at the Festival!
Join the debate! Thursday 23 August, 16:30-17:15, The Tinto
This year, Deloitte’s report makes it to the conference agenda for the first time. With a panel of industry guests, we will debate this year’s findings from the survey on the pulse of the UK’s TV consumers.
Chair: Paul Lee, Director of TMT Global Research, Deloitte
For the second time, GEITF, Deloitte and industry experts have come together to discuss the current issues impacting the UK television sector.